Friday, January 6, 2023

Descriptive Reflection (Formal Introductory Letter)

 Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,


I am writing this letter to you to introduce myself in regards to the ‘Descriptive Reflection’ assignment. My name is Mavis Chong Meiyi, but you may call me Mavis. I am a year 1 engineering student in Singapore Institute of Technology, currently studying in the mechanical design and manufacturing engineering course.


Regarding the topic of my interest in engineering. If I am being honest, engineering was not my first choice when I had to decide which course to enroll into at Nanyang Polytechnic. I enrolled in the common engineering programme, which was for one semester, to find a suitable engineering course that I wanted to pursue. At the end of the programme, I chose to specialize in the digital and precision engineering course. I started to see engineering in a different light and discovered my passion for drawing both 2D and 3D models. 


Something that differentiates me from others is that I am capable of working in a smaller group setting for projects when initially designed for a larger group (and so). The assignment was on 3D modeling, which gave me a confidence boost when we got an A for it.. As such, 3D modeling would definitely become an asset  that will help me with graphics related modules I would potentially take in university.


In terms of communication, my strength in communication revolves around my ability to converse on a variety of topics with others, even if I am not familiar with the topics. While my weakness would be that I am very introverted, thus I do not actively interact with others, especially strangers, due to my lack of confidence. As such, what I would like to achieve from this module is to strive to interact socially with others comfortably. I would also appreciate help in writing proper emails and letters since I feel that the ones I am writing now are lackluster.


I look forward to learning more from you in the coming classes.


Regards,

Mavis Chong Meiyi


6 comments:

  1. The letter is well written with clearly which shows allows us to understand more about her. Her points are also being well linked with a example. However for language wise there are of some grammatical mistakes in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I will be sure to correct the grammatical errors and improve on future blogs.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mavis, you mention how being in digital and precision engineering helps you decide your path in engineering. It is also pretty well organized with examples linking back to the points. There are some grammar issues but overall it is a well-written letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I will be sure to look out for the grammar mistakes and correct them.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mavis,

    Thank you for this informative letter. It's interesting for readers when you share your background in terms of the modeling/drawing and how that became personal motivation for your studying in MDME at SIT.

    You also share with us your impressions of your own comm skills development, and it's good that you tie this to how you want to improve in terms of writing/English and social skills.

    In terms of English, there are a couple areas in this letter you can revise for sentence structure issues:
    -- Regarding the topic of my interest in engineering. > (fragment) ?
    -- when initially designed for a larger group (and so). > ?
    -- While my weakness would be that I am very introverted, thus I do not actively interact with others, especially strangers, due to my lack of confidence. > (comma splice/fragment)
    > My weakness is that I am very introverted. Thus I do not actively interact with others, especially strangers, due to my lack of confidence.

    I look forward to your skills development in class.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment Professor Blackstone. I will be sure to amend any mistakes made and revise the sentence structures you have listed out.

    ReplyDelete

Summary Reader Response Draft 4

According to the article 'Custom 3D Printed Carbon Fiber Bike Frame' from Autodesk Instructables, (Androole, 2012), the purpose of a...